Battersea Dogs & Cats Home is London’s leading animal rehoming centre and also one of the UK’s most famous and longest-serving charities. It was established in 1860. It started as The Temporary Home for Lost & Starving Dogs, set up by Mrs Mary Tealby in a stableyard in Holloway, North London. In 1862 Charles Dickens writes an article in his popular newspaper, All the Year Round, supporting the work of the Shelter. In 1871 the Home moved to a site in Battersea, where it has remained ever since. In 1885 Queen Victoria herself became the Home’s first Royal Patron. In 1914 a hundred of sledge dogs were staying and being trained at the Hackbridge, the Home’s first country site, for Ernest Shackleton’s second Antarctic Expedition. In 1918 the dogs from the shelter were being trained at War Dog School to serve at both World Wars. In 2010 Battersea Dogs & Cats Home marked the 150th anniversary. Every year, the shelter cares for over 9,000 dogs and cats. Some of them end up being adopted by the UK celebrities.